Friday, October 21, 2011

Naga Sadhus at the Dhuni

On the night before the great day called the Shahi Snan or Holy Dip , the Nagas are busy grooming themselves , they have a bath, than they start applying ash, on their bodies, almost like a nuptial scene , yes they are bridegrooms onthis greatest day when they rush in jumping into the tank at Trimbakeshwar..
They are the Numero Uno in the hirearchy nobody can preceede them , they are very volatile ready to errupt, some of them take out their ire on foreign photographers smashing their cameras and lens..
The Naga Sadhus on the last day of the Shahi Snan had boycotted the Holy Dip as the scurity forces had bought sniffer dogs into their tents this taboo for sure,, but so is terrorism too.. and there are many imposters dressed as Sadhus that rob and steal,,
Many a photographer has lost everything .. this hurts the equipment is a heart beat of a photographer.
I would carry my equipment to the toilet not trusting my own shadow too ..
Here the Nagas were taking warmth of the Holy fire , we had tea than they went out of the tent Maharaj tied his penis to a rope and began pulling the car whose batteries had died out..Naga Life is filled to the brim with adventure..
A lot of ladies children arrived here to the tent as the saying goes to see a Naga Sadhu nude on the eve of the Shai Snan is the biggest auspicious sign and a good luck too..
Most of the inmates wondered why I had not shed my clothes, as I looked like a Sadhu too ..but that the Naga Sadhus and their head Guru from Rajasthan had allowed me into their fold meant a lot to me , they also are very perceptive and knew my pictures were not to do harm or sensationalize their ritualistic nudity..
We all our nude under the garb of our attitude.. we are all nude under the cosmetic cover up of our egos..for me this was a night of awakening I felt I was given wings to fly , my Islamic birthright did not deter me into being a bigot.. I had become one with Man.This feeling of mutual self respect helped , as I look back in retrospection I feel I did the right thing..we have to partake of each others religion without converting our parentage,, to a religious belief.
Maharaj took me to places as a Muslim I would have been killed , but he made me his soul mate..
He told me late in the nights while we discoursed near the holy fire that I was born of the same fire like him.. only my smoke was different , he talked of my earlier births one being of a Naga Sadhu too..
In Islam we do not have rebirths I did not refute him , but yes my solemn silence was the best comment.
Today Shri Vijay Giri Maharaj and I are great friends , I remember after the Kumbh I visited him with gifts at his Shanti Ashram , all his devotees stood in line touching my feet..I was a bit unnerved but Maharaj said they were connecting with the base of my Yogic Kundalini.. I shut up again.
Maharaj felicitated me under the statue of Lord Shiva..
Yes I realized a lot ..all this has remained..as nostalgia and as golden showered memories
We are here for a very short while , we wont die even after our death yes we wil be read like a photo blog.
And now I am crying as the best part of me will be immortalized
in the heart of those who love and who I pray will live long ...much after my death.