Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pitru Paksha At Banganga Tank Walkeshwar 2010

149,114 items / 1,142,924 views

This morning at about 6 am I left my house by train to Grant Road and from Grant Road a share a cab bought me to the Banganga Water Tank to shoot Pitru Paksha or Pitru Visarjan akin to All Souls Day for the North Indian Hindu community of Uttar Pradesh.

I was barefeet dressed in saffron.

So this is my new series at Flickr and part of my thread Hope and Hindutva a Message of Peace and Humanity.

Firstly the tank was not as crowded as it used to be in olden times , there was just a sparse gathering of devotees this might be due to the fact I had come early and left early too ..I shot the barbers the religious tonsure the tank and I shot from the makeshift raft that was being used by the local lads to clean the tank of prayer leaves and other ritual materials.

I met a young lad a hobbyist photographer Yogendra Prabhu a local from this area who shot my picture and also gave me a ride on the raft.

He was a very nice guy I wish him success in his photography.He is a self made photographer.

After I had shot from all sides of the tank I walked from Banganga to Napean Sea Road To Maheshwari House to pay homage to my Photo Guru Dronocharya KG Maheshwariji , his wife had gone out so we sat and talked old times.

I took his pictures and he took mine on my camera.


I took a train back home.